Monday 18 June 2012

Step 1: Current state

The first step is probably to work out where I am with my fitness and weight and then how far I have to go.

My current weight is 120kg, 18st12lb, 264lb
My current height is 1.9m, 6'3"

This makes my BMI = 120/(1.9)^2 = 33.2

BBC BMI calculator here

This puts me in the category of "fatty bum bum" or as it is know technically as obese. I don't really look it due to the my height (and constantly holding my breath) but I feel it! And perhaps look it :(

There are two options to get to the top end of "normal":

1. Increase my height to 2.2m (7' 239⁄64")
2. Reduce my weight to 89.5kg

As tempting as the former is, the latter is probably more practical.

This means I need to lose around 30.5kg. Assuming a weight loss or around 2lb or 1kg a week that is pretty much 30 weeks.

I don't want to starve and I also want to be fit not just thin so exercise is key. Let's "do the math."

Using a calorie requirement calculator is not totally accurate but gives a starting point:

With no exercise:
"you need 1673 Calories/day to lose 1 kg per week"

Lightly active (sport/exercise 1-3 times a week):
"you need 2063 Calories/day to lose 1 kg per week"

Moderately active (sport/exercise 3-5 times a week):
"you need 2453 Calories/day to lose 1 kg per week"

As you can see there are real benefits to exercise, you can eat more and still lose weight, plus you get fit!

I will aim for 2000 kcal per day for the first week. I will try to exercise at least 3 times but as my ass has barely left the couch for some time I will have to take it easy to start with.



No comments:

Post a Comment