Monday 18 June 2012

Running

Some years ago I went from not being able to run at all to being able to run a decent distance (the longest was 8 miles) since then I did a little but never really got back to form or my version of it. I followed a special plan that was designed for new runners and found it to be really good, I have a copy which I will post later as a reminder.

Since that time I discovered barefoot running, this is something that you can do in shoes and makes so much sense when you think about it. But rather than waffle on I will post some good links:

TED talk

Instruction video

Article

And then waffle my way of describing it is "the way you run around the house in your socks" this means on the forefoot not the heel and it means you use your muscles to cushion your foot fall not the shoe. Normal running is like stamping your heels on the ground, no wonder we "need" high tech shoes, barefoot is like tip toeing along. Your muscles do the work and those are things you can build up!

BUT before I start with any running I will do some walking. This always sounds a bit wimpy but actually if you push yourself you get a hell of a workout and actually go faster than you do when you first start running! After a week or so of that I will move to the running plan I mentioned, as it starts very lightly I can do it with a new running style, otherwise you should transition gently as you build the required muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment